Curtis-Evarts House, 34 Main Street, 1796, Federal style with significant 19th century additions.
Evarts studied law in Windsor starting in 1837 and became a summer resident in 1851, his journey from New York made easier with the 1847 arrival of the train to Windsor. Evarts eventually amassed about 1000 acres of land in Windsor, part of which was dammed to form Runnemede Pond, located behind this and the following houses. Another portion became Paradise Park, now owned by the town. The previously visited house and the following two houses formed part of William M. Evarts extensive estate.
The basic Federal style massing of this house has been enhanced with projecting window bays, highly popular by the 1840s, on the east and north facades. Tall Italianate windows are found on the south elevation which became the main entry during the 19th century.(see #16). Note the Federal style pediment peaking out from the roofline.
Augustus Saint-Gaudens, a nationally recognized sculptor, completed a bronze bust of William M. Evarts in 1872. Saint Gaudens lived and worked in nearby Cornish, New Hampshire, where he and several other artists formed the Cornish Colony. A plaster cast of the Evarts bust is a part of the largest collection of Saint Gauden's works, housed at the Saint Gaudens National Historic Site, one mile north of the Cornish-Windsor Covered Bridge (#59).
The William M. Evarts House, North Main St., with its numerous wings and varying roof lines, is an interesting example of early utilitarian building and of the manner in which houses 'grew.'
Zebina Curtis-William Maxwell Evarts House. Georgian style, 1796.
17. Zebina Curtis House. Date built: 1796.
BACK TO NATIONAL REGISTER PROPERTIES