Blacksmith Shop Covered Bridge
National Register Nomination Information:
Excellent example of a multiple Kingpost Truss type all wood covered bridge, single span; outside length is 96 feet and it is 14-1/2 feet wide; the dock or roadway length is 90 feet by 13 feet wide.
There are twenty-eight panels with twenty-nine posts on each side. The bridge rests on selected stone dry laid abutments.
The high gabled roof is covered with sheet metal. It is sheathed on the exterior with plain vertical butted boards, up about 1/3 of the way from the lower chord. The lower and upper chords are joined to the posts by iron bolts. (Some of the exterior sheathing is missing.)
The two end panels on the south side are missing their diagonal braces. The original roof was evidently covered with wood shingles.
The bridge is not in use at the present time, and is deteriorating, since it is not maintained.
The portal is flat round corner in style and is sheathed in vertical panelling of butted boards.
Example of multiple Kingpost truss type covered bridge.
Designed and built by James Tasker (1826-1903) of Cornish, New Hampshire, in 1882.
The name of the bridge comes from the Blacksmith shop which was operated nearby in the area called "Slab City" by John Fellows (1798-1884).
See also: The National Society for the Preservation of Covered Bridges, World Guide to Covered Bridges (Number 29-10-01); New Hampshire Department of Public Works and Highways, Covered Bridge Survey (Number 696/092); and the New Hampshire Department of Resources and Economic Development Survey (Number 21).
Child, William H. History of Cornish, NH. 1763-1900 (Concord, N.H.) 1911, 2 vols.
(Ms) Cornish, Town of, Selectmen's Journal/Record Book for 1882, Selectmen's Office.
Kenyon, Thedia C. New Hampshire's Covered Bridges, p. 67 (illus)
Keyworth, William G. The Covered Bridges of New Hampshire.
White, W. Edward, Covered Bridges of New Hampshire (Plymouth, N.H.), p. 14.
DATE ENTERED: May 22, 1978.
BACK TO NATIONAL REGISTER PROPERTIES